Code of Ethics
Created by SARA President, Kathleen Prasad
- I believe the animals are equal partners in the healing process.
- I honor the animals as being not only my clients, but also my teachers in the journey of healing.
- I understand that all animals have physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects, to which Reiki can bring profound healing responses.
- I believe that bringing Reiki to the human/animal relationship is transformational to the human view of the animal kingdom.
- I dedicate myself to the virtues of humility, integrity, compassion and gratitude in my Reiki practice.
In working on myself
I follow these practices:
- I incorporate the Five Reiki Precepts into my daily life and Reiki practice.
- I commit myself to a daily practice of self-healing and spiritual development so that I can be a clear and strong channel for healing energy.
- I nurture a belief in the sacred nature of all beings, and in the value and depth of animalkind as our partners on this planet.
- I listen to the wisdom of my heart, remembering that we are all One.
In working in the community
I hold the following goals:
- I model the values of partnership, compassion, humility, gentleness and gratitude in my life and with the animals, teaching by example.
- I work to create professional alliances and cooperative relationships with other Reiki practitioners/teachers, animal health-care providers and animal welfare organizations in my community.
- I strive to educate my community in its understanding of the benefits of Reiki for animals.
- I continually educate myself to maintain and enhance my professional competence so that I uphold the integrity of the profession.
- I consider myself an ally to the veterinary and animal health community. I work to support their efforts in achieving animal wellness and balance. I honor other disciplines and their practitioners.
In working with the animals
I follow these guidelines:
- I work in partnership with the animal.
- I always ask permission of the animal before beginning and respect his or her decision to accept or refuse any treatment. I listen intuitively and observe the animal's body language in determining the response.
- I allow each animal to choose how to receive his or her treatment; thus, each treatment could be a combination of hands-on, short distance and/or distant healing, depending on the animal's preference.
- I let go of my expectations about how the treatment should progress and/or how the animal should behave during the treatment, and simply trust Reiki.
- I accept the results of the treatment without judgment and with gratitude toward Reiki and the animal's openness and participation in the process.