Code of Ethics
Developed by Kathleen Prasad, SARA President and Founder of Animal Reiki Source
- I believe the animals are equal partners in the healing process.
- I honor the animals as being not only my clients, but also my teachers in the journey of healing.
- I understand that all animals have physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects, to which Reiki can bring profound healing responses.
- I believe that bringing Reiki to the human/animal relationship is transformational to the human view of the animal kingdom.
- I dedicate myself to the virtues of humility, integrity, compassion and gratitude in my Reiki practice.
In working on myself
I follow these practices:
- I incorporate the Five Reiki Precepts into my daily life and Reiki practice.
- I commit myself to a daily practice of self-healing and spiritual development so that I can be a clear and strong channel for healing energy.
- I nurture a belief in the sacred nature of all beings, and in the value and depth of animalkind as our partners on this planet.
- I listen to the wisdom of my heart, remembering that we are all One.
In working with the animals
I follow these guidelines:
I work in partnership with the animal.
I always ask permission of the animal before beginning and respect his or her decision to accept or refuse any treatment. I listen intuitively and observe the animal's body language in determining the response.
I allow each animal to choose how to receive his or her treatment; thus, each treatment could be a combination of hands-on, short distance and/or distant healing, depending on the animal's preference.
I let go of my expectations about how the treatment should progress and/or how the animal should behave during the treatment, and simply trust Reiki.
I accept the results of the treatment without judgment and with gratitude toward Reiki and the animal's openness and participation in the process.
In working with the human companions of the animals,
- Share information before the treatment about my healing philosophy, the Reiki healing system and what to expect in a typical treatment, as well as possible outcomes, including the possibility of healing reactions.
- Provide a clear policy ahead of time regarding fees, length of treatment and cancellation policy, as well as “postponement” policy, should the animal not want the treatment that day.
- Never diagnose. I will always refer clients to a licensed veterinarian when appropriate.
- Honor the privacy of the animals and their human companions.
- Share intuition received during Reiki treatments, with compassion and humility, for the purpose of supporting their understanding of the healing process.
- Respect the human companion’s right to choose the animal’s healing journey, selecting the methods, both holistic and/or conventional that he or she deems most appropriate, with the support and advice of a trusted veterinarian.
In working in the community
I hold the following goals:
- I model the values of partnership, compassion, humility, gentleness and gratitude in my life and with the animals, teaching by example.
- I work to create professional alliances and cooperative relationships with other Reiki practitioners/teachers, animal health-care providers and animal welfare organizations in my community.
- I strive to educate my community in its understanding of the benefits of Reiki for animals.
- I continually educate myself to maintain and enhance my professional competence so that I uphold the integrity of the profession.
- I consider myself an ally to the veterinary and animal health community. I work to support their efforts in achieving animal wellness and balance. I honor other disciplines and their practitioners.